Monday, April 7, 2008

Refining the Focus

Here we are nearing the end of this blogging assignment and after speaking with the professor, I finally have a solid grasp on my end goal. In my school we essentially create our own curriculum. We don’t follow premade lesson plans unless we happen to find one we like. It is then usually adapted to meet the needs of our student population. In that sense my goal is to become an expert in content area best practices with technology. I’d love for a coworker to be able to say, “I’m having trouble helping Jimmy understand rhyming patterns.” And then in turn point that coworker in the direction of a technology program, device or activity they could try. I feel that the more I advocate for better uses of technology, the more my school will see the need to improve our current tech set-up.
Now that we’ve settled that (phew!) I’d like to move on to my final content area focus which is math. I don’t teach math this year although I have the previous 3. I do miss teaching the subject because I’ve always enjoyed math and I find for many kids, it is their strength which means they enjoy the learning process. There are many however, who struggle terribly with math and whose parents shake their heads and say things like, “we’ll make sure she has a debit card.” There are those who push math aside as being of secondary importance to things like reading and writing. I believe math is every bit as important as the other two subjects.
I’m a strong believer that kids need to use manipulatives as much as possible especially in math. I also believe that the objects don’t have to tie directly to a certain math concept (ie: fraction bars or clocks). At http://www.mindwareonline.com/MWESTORE/Home/HomePage.aspx? Teachers and parents can find an array of mind puzzles that kids love. This is not computer technology however it is definitely a form of technology in my opinion. Kids learn logic, problem solving, even engineering (like when building a marble run). In no classroom should computer technology replace hands on tools like the ones found at mindwareonline. Research does indicate that math disabilities can be improved with technology. LD online always has a vast array of information. At this site http://www.ldonline.org/article/6291 if you scroll down to the subheading “Developing fluency in math-delayed children using technology” you can find research assessing the use of technology for students with math disabilities. Very interestingly, the study found that “computerized drill and practice was ineffective in developing declarative fact knowledge in students with math difficulty” (Hasselbring, Goin, and Sherwood, 1986). I hear many teachers out there saying, “oops!” and we’ve had this research for the last 22 years? Most computer math games do little more than quiz students on math facts with fancy graphics or animated characters. No wonder it’s not helpful. Luckily, I have not been using such games. Hasselbring and Goin developed a program in 2005 called FASTT (Fluency and Automaticity through Systematic Teaching with Technology) which helps students develop “declarative fact knowledge.” The resulting computer program called FASTT Math has been shown to create positive results both for students with disabilities and those without. This makes it perfect for a mainstream classroom and a special education classroom. The same article goes on to describe research in increasingly complex areas of math however, I am going to leave the focus here for now because math basics are often the most difficult and also most vital for students with math disabilities. Without the basics, the rest become an insurmountable goal. I’ll be adding this program to my list of “best practices.”

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I totally agree that math is super important. It is so much more than just being able to balance a check book! At my school the principal has implemented "manipulative Mondays." Every math teacher has to do some sort of manipulative every Monday. While I know the teachers would prefer to introduce a the topic on a Monday and do the manipulative another day, I think it is a really good idea to require the use of regular manipulatives! I'm going to share this site with my partner in case she has money in her budget to burn. She is also going to be teaching gifted math next year and I'm sure some of this stuff would be great!

Sue Harner said...

I have bookmarked this article. I have always advocated the need to look at math more deeply when looking at learning disabilities. When we are looking at a student we look at reading and not math. since I teach 5-8 year olds I do agree that the discrepancies begin in second grade. Although I do see some younger students with difficulties with concrete concepts. When a second grader still needs to use their fingers (the best manipulative=:) I get concerned and wonder how I can improve their basic fact skills. I will be looking at the FASTT program this summer to see if it would be a possibility.
One area that I think is also crucial for all math is patterning. Some teachers think it is just a cute idea but I have my students work on patterning in all three grades. Patterning is important in all math areas.
Yes, keep the manipulatives and look for ways technology can enhance the curriculum. My favorite math software is Thinkin' Things 2, Used to be a product of Edmark but now I think you can get it through Riverdeep. Also, Millie's Math House does a good job of causing students to think about math not just drill. It is primary but might help with LD students. Thanks for the article.

Sue Harner said...

I just looked at the promo and saw the pricing. Isn't it a shame that educational products are so expensive. I think I might be able to get one for my classroom, maybe then we I can pilot it for other classes.