Monday, January 25, 2010

Ooooh This is Cool Too!

Well one thing I have a really hard time getting my kids to do is editing. They are stubborn and sometimes simply downright unwilling to look at their work after they are supposedly done. I was thinking about how modeling worked for Internet searches and how I’d used the Smart Board to show kids how to edit late last year. I had a student type his speech and then I brought it up on the screen so everyone could watch us edit the paper together. I think maybe there was something freeing about seeing that this student, who is a top performer, made mistakes that needed correcting. I think too often my students, even with their disabilities, strive for impossible perfection. They tend to think if they forget one capital letter then the whole paper is a failure. They watched as we quickly and easily edited the mistakes in the paper and how we rearranged sentences to create a better flow. The best thing I got out of this lesson was the following comment: Me: “Austin are you ready to type your speech?”
Austin: “No, Mrs. B, I haven’t done my proofreading yet!”

Maybe the concept of editing isn’t so scary anymore.

No comments: