Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Old Meets New

Today was pretty exciting. It is the half day before Thanksgiving and it was rather crazy how many students were absent. I had planned, as I usually do now, a Smart Board activity which I thought would be fun and engaging on a day before a holiday. I found this great page on the Scholastic Website all about Thanksgiving. My first class had 8 (out of 10) students present so they just sat at their desks but my second class only had 4 kids present so I had them bring their chairs around the board, that way each child could touch and interact with the board without waiting to be called upon or walk up to the front of the room. It felt so neat to teach this way. The site is jam packed with information too. Even I learned several new things. What I keep thinking about is how this would not be possible without the board. Sure, the kids could take turns looking at the web site on the computer but what would I be doing with the rest of the students? And when they interact with the website independently what things would they be missing that I needed to explain to them? I used to want a laptop for each student but this is so much better!

Scholastic Thanksgiving Website
http://www.scholastic.com/scholastic_thanksgiving/

No comments: