Thursday, November 5, 2009

Training

Well good things have been happening! I am seeing first hand what a draw this board is in my class. On a most basic level, I can use my computer a LOT more! There are so many times that I have wanted to show my kids something and had to make them gather around my desktop. Well I have a laptop now which was good because I could bring it to them but now I find myself just saying, "Oh let me show you" and that is such a great way to learn!

Well I was still disappointed in myself because I had not really covered a REAL lesson using the SB the way it was intended. That was until yesterday. Now I was really unsure about the notebook presentation I downloaded. It was for first graders. I thought, they'll see right through this and think it's for babies. But nope-- NOT AT ALL! I made a few changes so it wasn't so babyish and they LOVED it. They were practically leaping over each other to get a chance to come up and touch the board and drag the characters across it to see if they got the right answer. It would have been a boring lesson-- I know. I've taught it for 5 years in a row now. But instead I had everyone's focus and attention and I had every hand raised. It was incredible!

So today, I tried a different lesson. I made it into a game and it was very basic but yet again they LOVED it! I also thought of ideas on how to modify it on the fly so we did that too and get this, not ONE SINGLE STUDENT told me it was getting to be close to lunch time. Usually they sit and watch the clock (well, in fairness the clock had to be moved to accommodate the board but even so) but today they wanted to keep going even if it meant being late for lunch!

Then this afternoon I had training. It was the best training session I've ever attended on any topic. I was pretty happy with myself for having discovered quite a bit on my own in the last 2 weeks but my head is now swimming with ideas on ways that I can use the SB. The trainer was awesome!

Honestly, I feel like this was just what I needed. I was feeling slightly burned out which is bad for someone only 6 years into a career. I was missing my baby boy at home. But now I am so excited to go to work every day. I hope the enthusiasm never wears off!

No comments: